“A booby-trapped car exploded at the Bejan police station in the province, killing 40 Houthis,” the source told Turkey’s official Anadolu Agency on Friday, adding that several people were also injured in the attack.
No group or individual has yet claimed responsibility for the bombing, and the Ansarullah movement has not commented on it.
This comes as the impoverished Arab country has been under violent attacks by Saudi Arabia.
Saudi Arabia started its air campaign against Yemen on March 26, without a UN mandate, in a bid to restore power to the country’s fugitive former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, a staunch ally of Riyadh.
A spokesperson for the Yemeni army, fighting alongside Ansarullah fighters, said on Friday that at least 1,000 people, including 200 children, have been killed in Saudi airstrikes.
The military official added that 15,000 others have been also injured since the start of the Saudi military campaign.
The World Health Organization (WHO) said on April 7 that more than 540 people had been killed in Yemen since mid-March.
Christian Lindmeier, a WHO spokesman, noted that the death toll was related to the period between March 19 and April 6.